Enjoyable Issues To Do In Oakville Ontario On A Weekend Getaway
Oakville is a good place to go to for a weekend getaway. There are many enjoyable issues to do in Oakville, which is situated near Toronto, making it simple to get to. It’s additionally a brief drive from Burlington and Milton (all three cities are within the Halton Area).
With Black Historical past Month and the Style of Oakville competition occurring firstly of the yr, we received to expertise the entire finest causes to go to Oakville. And so we determined to place them collectively for you. Each the Black Historical past Tour and the Black Historical past Exhibit on the Oakville Museum (talked about later on this submit) can be found all yr whereas the Taste of Oakville runs roughly from mid-February to mid-March.
Right here’s a information on one of the best sights and locations to go to in Oakville.
This text is now obtainable as a cellular app. Go to GPSmyCity to obtain the app for GPS-assisted journey instructions to the sights featured on this article.
Issues To Do In Oakville (Day 1)
A Historical past of Oakville
- Oakville, Ontario’s historical past dates again to 1830 when Colonel William Ok. Chisholm based it.
- The city grew to become an extension of the Underground Railroad, which led escaped African slaves out of America and into Canadian cities. There have been additionally a number of slaves smuggled out of America and into Oakville by the well-known Captain Robert Wilson.
- Sure African American households, after escaping slavery, settled in Oakville and opened up companies. These individuals opened up barbers, fruit farms, and different corporations. And when the city was integrated in 1857, it was able to turn into the thriving industrial group identified in the present day—rated as one of many prime 5 locations to stay in Canada.
Getting To Oakville From Toronto
Oakville is a 30-minute drive from Toronto, and the city is a brief distance from a number of airports. Listed below are one of the best methods to get to Oakville.
A street journey from Toronto to Oakville provides a fast and direct route, taking lower than an hour. That is the most affordable technique to get to Oakville.
There’s a ±30-minute bus journey immediately from Renforth Dr in Toronto to Trafalgar Rd. @ Hwy. 407 Park & Experience in Oakville. This solely will get you to the bus cease, and you then’ll want to seek out your technique to your lodging.
Trains from Toronto to Oakville go away a number of occasions a day. Direct practice routes between the 2 take 22 minutes to get you to Oakville from Toronto. Practice tickets are fairly inexpensive, starting from 20 CAD to 25 CAD.
What To Do in Oakville, Ontario: Weekend Itinerary
Right here’s a fundamental structure of the proper weekend itinerary and all one of the best Oakville sights:
- Arrive within the afternoon – Afternoon hike in Bronte Creek Provincial Park, after which dinner at Chop Steakhouse & Bar.
- Day 1 – Bronte Village, then Kerr Village.
- Day 2 – Downtown Oakville.
Discover extra details about every cease on the itinerary beneath.
Bronte Creek Provincial Park
Begin your time in Oakville with a day hike. Decide any of the paths beneath and revel in a cushty and beautiful stroll. These are all situated within the Day Use space of the park.
- Maiden’s Blush Path – a 1-kilometre, wheelchair-accessible paved path by the forest.
- Trillium Path – additionally wheelchair accessible and stroller-friendly, this 1-kilometre path provides beautiful views of the valley ground and spring wildflowers in bloom.
- Ravine Path – a bit longer, this 2.7-kilometre path winds across the valley’s prime. You’ll stroll between Spruce Lane Farm and Lot A’s picnic space.
Chop Steakhouse & Bar
Chop Steakhouse’s menu is stacked with 100% premium Canadian beef steaks, in addition to contemporary seafood and different hearty meals. The drinks are diverse, with specialty coffees, day by day featured cocktails, and loads of ciders and beers on provide. However the must-have right here is the proprietary beer, Massive Life Amber Ale, made by Creemore.
- View their Style of Oakville menu HERE
Day 1 – Oakville Sights: Uncover Bronte Village
Bronte Village started as a small fishing village in 1834, constructed on the spot the place the Twelve Mile Creek met Lake Ontario. The harbour was established in 1894, making it one of many oldest lakeside communities in Ontario.
This small village additionally served as an entry level for a lot of African Individuals coming into Canada by the Underground Railroad system. A few of these people selected to construct their houses proper right here, on the shores of the lake.
Black Historical past Bike Tour
There are lots of areas and landmarks that stay from when the African Individuals landed in Bronte Village. Probably the greatest methods to see these Oakville factors of curiosity is to hop on a motorcycle (in case you haven’t purchased your personal, rent one) and take this self-guided tour.
Bronte Heritage Waterfront Park
This waterfront park is widespread with locals and guests alike. There may be house to take a stroll, chat and sip on cup of Oakville espresso (Style of Columbia is tremendous). There’s a playground for the youngsters and large grassy patches for the canines.
Muskoka Chair Show
What started in 2017 as a enjoyable group mission has turn into fairly widespread round city. Bronte BIA’s “At Residence in Bronte” initiative (Enterprise Enchancment Space) sees organizations and teams of locals come collectively and paint lounge chairs in particular themes.
If you happen to stroll alongside the Lakeshore, you’ll discover these brightly-coloured chairs. Sit for a second and soak within the views and environment that Bronte Village offers.
Bronte Village Purchasing
A number of nice companies to take a look at when you’re right here:
- EcoFillosophy makes a speciality of eco-friendly merchandise, reusables over disposables, and even has a refill program.
- Goldwyn & Sons – for an actual deal with and a few important grooming, Goldwyn & Sons does haircuts, beard trims, and different upscale remedies paired with a drink.
Bronte Village Specialty Meals
Take your tastebuds on a journey at any (or all) of those spots:
- Flavour Fox – a spread of flavours, in addition to scorching drinks and even fro-yo for the canines.
- Style of Colombia – discover Truthful Commerce espresso, items, savoury and candy meals, and even espresso cocktails right here.
La Parisienne Crêperie (Temporarly Closed)
La Parisienne Crêperie is a husband-and-wife-run Parisian-style cafe that provids candy & savoury French-style crêpes. The best way the within is adorned
La Parisienne Creperie is a little bit piece of France in Bronte Harbour. Owned by husband-and-wife staff Mikael and Courtney Colas, who took over their household enterprise and breathed new power into the house! The fully renovated inside of the restaurant will immediately take you again to a cute cafe in Paris.
In the meantime, the scrumptious candy & savoury French-style crêpes are scrumptious and made with contemporary, native substances every time attainable to assist the native farmers and winemakers.
This place is on its technique to now not being a hidden gem!
- View their Style of Oakville menu HERE
This park is correct on the shores of Lake Ontario and provides loads of grassy house, volleyball nets, and picnic tables. You may even see the Toronto skyline on a transparent day as you look out over Lake Ontario.
At present, Kerr Village is a quaint little group comprising boutique retailers, hospitable eating places, and a robust feeling of group. However again within the 1850s, the village was a haven for African Individuals fleeing America who constructed their houses right here.
Self-Guided Black Historical past Tour
An insightful self-guided tour is obtainable to anybody eager to discover the buildings and locations of curiosity surrounding Kerr Village’s Black Historical past significance.
Only a few issues to pay attention to from the tour embrace:
- Burnet Park – In 2019, a plaque commemorated the 40,000+ African American individuals who migrated to Canada by the Underground Railroad.
- The Adams Residence – initially owned by Jeremiah B Adams, was stored within the Adams household for 100+ years. It was demolished in 2016, however you possibly can go to the place it stood.
- Shipyard Park is quick turning into public and a everlasting dedication to Oakville’s Black historical past as its one of many locations alongside Lake Ontario the place American slaves first arrived.
- Turner Chapel Antiques and Appraisers – as soon as the Turner African Methodist Episcopal Church, in-built 1891 by former slaves.
- Kerr Avenue – the unique dwelling of the much-loved Carousel of Nations Multicultural Competition, Kerr St. is the guts of this village and holds a lot of its historical past.
Tannery Park provides views of Lake Ontario, public washrooms, and loads of house for the entire household to chill out. On a transparent day, you can even see Toronto’s skyline from right here.
Some factors of curiosity contained in the park:
- Oakville Lighthouse – you possibly can’t go within the precise lighthouse, however the scene from the surface is well worth the cease.
- Waterfront Path – spanning by Tannery park, you possibly can stroll down this path and benefit from the contemporary air and lakeside views.
Kerr Village Purchasing
- Dove + Arrow – cease right here to buy locally-made merchandise as souvenirs and items.
- The Form Matter Firm is one other unbelievable Oakville eco-friendly store for zero-waste procuring.
Kerr Village Specialty Meals
A few of these spots are part of the Style of Oakville competition, and others are simply price a go to.
- Farmhouse Artisan Cheese is a good place to choose up gourmand cheese for a picnic and some locally-made merchandise.
- The Sweetest Factor is a boutique bakery with scrumptious desserts, cookies, and low.
- Vereda Central Espresso Roasters is undoubtedly dwelling to one of the best espresso in Kerr Village.
- Café Combine Up – a Black-owned mother-and-son operation serving all the things from soup and salad to pasta and desserts.
- Group Restaurant – serving scrumptious meals with a 100% plant-based menu.
Jac’s Bistro is a stylish French/Italian restaurant on Kerr Avenue. It has been voted top-of-the-line eating places within the GTA by Toronto Life Journal and Chatelaine Journal.
The menu options basic dishes from France and Italy, emphasizing contemporary substances and native merchandise. Jac’s Bistrot provides all kinds of wines by the glass or bottle in addition to specialty cocktails.
- View their Style of Oakville menu HERE
Independently owned and operated by an Oakville native, this cinema has 5 screens to indicate new motion pictures and basic favourites. Their distinctive side, although, is the magnificent snack bar obtainable.
Day 2 – Head to Downtown Oakville
The center of Downtown Oakville is a bustling neighbourhood stuffed with attention-grabbing retailers, native companies, and upscale eateries. This can be a spectacular a part of city with Six Mile Creek operating proper by Downtown Oakville and Lake Ontario exhibiting off its magnificence from the harbour.
That is the place the city’s founder, Colonel William Chisholm, settled in and constructed his dwelling. And later, it’s the place the African-American individuals would come to develop their companies and new lives.
Sixteen Mile Creek
Begin the morning at 16 Mile Creek. The principle loop path runs for about 6 kilometres, crossing the creek on either side, and there are a number of facet trails. There are some sections the place there are hills, however the paths aren’t too busy. The paths have unbelievable lookout factors, the place you may see wild animals.
The Moccasin path is a part of Ontario‘s heritage trails, encouraging hikers to discover the panorama from a First Nation perspective. A collection of 13 Indigenous plaques inform Indigenous tales and provide a deeper understanding of Indigenous cultures.
If you happen to go to throughout or after a contemporary fall of snow, it’s nothing wanting breathtaking.
The Easy Kitchen
The Easy Kitchen is ideal for breakfast, with scrumptious however wholesome choices to begin the day. It provides a variety of low-carb, paleo and gluten-free merchandise, together with wholesome entire meals for takeaways, granolas, drinks, and pure physique care merchandise.
View their Style of Oakville menu HERE
Browse a Few Outlets & Companies
- Burrows Clothiers – in case you’re on the lookout for some upscale clothes for males to put on to your night plans, cease in at Burrows, and so they’ll type you out.
- Village Cigar Firm & Barbershop – cigars, sophistication, and gent’s haircuts. We visited the sister firm in Burlington and might say you gained’t be sorry you stopped in.
- Maker’s Mojo – a market for uniquely handmade merchandise, excellent for present procuring.
It’s essential to have lunch at this Black-owned tea room and enjoyment of oven-baked goodness, award-winning gelato, and a few consolation meals.
Nyla’s Room embraces every buyer with its distinctive Jamaican model. It celebrates among the world’s best-loved consolation meals from Jamaica’s North Coast. Hospitality. We wouldn’t be shocked in case you discovered it troublesome to depart because the workers are unbelievable, enjoyable and warmly welcoming.
Nyla was impressed by her household’s historical past and her appreciation for cuisines, and the hospitality she skilled when travelling. Nyla‘s room is a Gelateria/Café meets Teahouse.
View their Style of Oakville menu HERE
Different Downtown Specialty Meals
- Tribeca Espresso Co. – seize a New York-inspired espresso when you ship out an electronic mail on this specialty espresso home.
- Wallflower Doughnuts – situated inside Tribeca Espresso, these donuts go completely with a cup of espresso or tea.
- Black Forest Pastry Store – contemporary, mouthwatering pastries baked and offered day by day.
- Sugar Suite – candy and savoury baked items, with gluten-free and vegan choices obtainable.
Oakville Towne Sq.
That is the guts of Downtown, and also you’ll discover quite a few retailers and companies inside the sq..
This leafy sq. is dwelling to the Veteran’s Wall memorials that Oakville put as much as bear in mind and honour their struggle veterans.
Historic Houses and Church buildings on Alan and Navy Streets
Alan and Navy Streets are each dwelling to a number of historic houses and church buildings. A stroll down every of those streets permits you to view these buildings and maybe be taught much more about this city’s historical past.
When Colonel William Chisholm based Oakville, he constructed Erchless Property in a first-rate spot – overlooking the harbour and Lake Ontario. This household house is now the Oakville Group Museum.
The museum shows Oakville’s wealthy and charming historical past with numerous reveals. Two of those are centred round Oakville’s Black historical past. One exhibit reveals the story of a freeborn African-American, Branson Johnson and his life in Oakville. And one other is a multi-media presentation of a former slave, Debra Brown’s journey within the Underground Railroad.
Lakeside Park is dwelling to Oakville’s first submit workplace and an 1829 residence (The Thomas Home). It’s additionally the place you will see that the TOWARF Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary. The park has public restrooms, benches, and limitless grassy areas to sit down and benefit from the house.
One other splendid open house in Oakville, Dingle Park, provides strolling paths, picnic benches, and spectacular views of Lake Ontario and the Toronto skyline. It’s small however usually additionally peaceable, so it’s an amazing place simply to assemble your ideas and respect the scenes round you.
This house is a not-for-profit up to date artwork museum housed within the public library. It’s designed to convey communities collectively in unconventional and sudden methods.
One of many must-see reveals is the Two Truths and a Lie exhibit. It’s a collaborative inventive expression from a number of artists. This speaks to the “complicated interactions inside the pursuit of reality.”
The Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts
This centre places on a number of performances annually, a unbelievable place for the Oakville group to unite in dance, music, and storytelling. You could find a schedule and e-book tickets on their website.
CAMERON’S Brewing Firm
The proper technique to finish your Oakville go to, get pleasure from an ice-cold beer from this award-winning, family-run brewery. There are occasional occasions right here, too, with stay music and catered meals to accompany what many individuals say is “one of the best beer in Canada.”
Glen Abbey Golf Membership
The world-famous Glen Abbey Golf Membership has been the positioning of 25 Canadian Open Championships –– most notably when Tiger Woods defeated Grant Waite in 2000. Whether or not you’re a professional golf fanatic or simply on the lookout for a soothing brunch spot, the Glen Abbey Golf Membership is a good alternative. The membership can be dwelling to a golf academy for these wishing to be taught the artwork of the game.
Additionally situated at Glen Abbey Golf Membership is the Canadian Golf Corridor of Fame, the place guests can be taught in regards to the wealthy golf historical past in Canada. Notable inductees embrace Stephen Ames, Michael Weir, Sandra Submit, Stanley Thompson, and the legendary Jack Nicklaus.
The place to Keep in Oakville + Map
Together with the participating tales that Oakville has to inform, the city’s hospitality is another excuse to go to. Right here’s the place we selected to remain in Oakville.
- Sandman Oakville – a snug and handy place to settle in for an evening or two in Oakville.
Oakville Issues To Do
With so many issues to do, Oakville is the proper place to spend a busy weekend, absorbing the historical past and tradition. This group values its heritage, and the city has been designed to honour those that helped it turn into its thriving place in the present day.